Benefits of Learning Management Systems
An LMS (Learning Management System) is a platform that makes eLearning or online learning possible and upon which the training modules or courses are built. Learning Management Systems not only help cut costs and improve accuracy, but they also help organizations manage large amounts of information without compromising on user friendliness.
What is a Learning Management System?
A learning management system is an online platform that removes physical barriers and allows creating, delivering, managing, monitoring and reporting all sorts of courses. In the beginning of the 20th century, universities started delivering educational content through audio and video. Advancements in technology made it possible for the idea to go mainstream. Statistics show that eLearning has become the preferred mode of learning as more than 2/3 organizations are now offering mobile learning.
Who Should Use a LMS?
LMSs can be very useful for anyone planning on delivering online courses, whether businesses or individuals. Here are a few pointers that help determine if a Learning Management System is the right choice for you or your business:
- Already have courses for which a fee is charged?
- Already have an employee training or learning strategy in place?
- Are involved in handling a large number of registrations?
- Have instructors or trainers who are dedicated for the task?
- Have to hire/onboard employees on a regular basis?
- Keep track of employee progress/performance?
- Work in the recruitment business?
- Keep employees well equipped with new knowledge and skills?
- Operate a multi-location business?
- Involved in training customers?
- Offer certification for training programs?
- Want to improve employee motivation?
Benefits of LMS
Removal of physical barriers is perhaps the most obvious and biggest benefit of using a LMS. It helps deliver courses cost effectively and conveniently by automating processes. Maintaining and tracking courses is no easy feat for trainers, but an LMS makes the whole process easier by creating a centralized system that’s more accessible. The key features and benefits a learning management system includes:
- Instant access
- Centralized system, individuals and businesses can organize everything at one place
- Eliminates physical barriers, courses are easily accessible over the internet
- Reduced training costs
- 1-on-1 training approach
- Trainers can upload unlimited training materials
- Makes performance tracking easier by automatically tracking progress
- Automated and hassle-free registration and attendance management
- Help organizations comply with local and federal regulations
- More efficient registration, group management
- Easy sharing of content
- Advanced reporting
- Faster delivery of compliance trainings
- Consistent across all sites
- Reduces L&D (Learning and Development) time
- Can be aligned to unique business needs
- Improved communication
- Automatic reminders
- Improve outreach, enable trainees to attend courses (who otherwise might not have been able to do so)
- Can be integrated with social learning experiences
- More personalized and targeted courses
- Growth potential
- Can be a breeding ground for innovations
- Can be used for pedagogical experiments
- Makes expansion of courses easier
Learning Management Systems have been increasingly becoming popular for the convenience and efficiency they offer. They save time and money, provide effective and complete control and make it easier to access information, whether paid or free. LMSs allow trainers to personalize training material according to participants through multimedia content, including videos, audio, images and plain text, which results in improved communication and enhanced learning.